Thursday, August 30, 2012

Where did Summer go?


There has been so much that has happened this past summer that I don’t really know where to begin. I’ve been putting off posting for so long because I’ve been overwhelmed at the thought of having to play catch up. I know, I know, if I had been better about updating my blog, I wouldn’t be in this position BUT I am so WOULDA. COULDA. SHOULDA.

So that I don’t completely bore my total of probably 10 readers (including my parents) I’m going to do most of this via pictures. Because lets be honest, we all prefer picture books anyways – and what’s the point of all the pictures I take on my iPhone if I don’t show them to somebody!

Because the world revolves around me, I consider the start of summer May 25th, the best day in the world and otherwise known as my birthday. Thankfully, it is also almost always Memorial Day weekend - - as it was this year - - so most other people consider it the start of summer as well. This year to celebrate my magnificent 27 years, my best girlfriends and I took a trip to Rehoboth Beach, DE to celebrate both me and the start of summer. We had a great few days filled with lots of laughing, too much sun, (ok maybe that was just me) good beverages and great company. We even had our $300 plus dinner anonymously paid for. However, I sill believe that Alex was responsible for that one but she still refuses to take the credit!

Leigh, Alex, Me, Kerri, Erin before our anonymously paid for crab dinner!
I may have gotten a tiny bit burnt...


The wonderful month of May is also when my parents moved out of my childhood home and into their new house. In an effort to not completely unravel my brother and me, they thankfully just moved a town over into a much smaller house. The house is absolutely perfect for them - - it’s beautiful, open, still has a pool, a larger back yard than our old house, (which I didn’t think was possible) and most importantly it’s  filled with love and family pictures. I’m so happy for both of them and look forward to the weekends I get to spend with them there.

Bye bye to my childhood home!
A backyard full of memories
Hello new house! - Includes 3 bedrooms, full basement and finished attic!
New pool
HUGE backyard! The dogs are VERY happy!
In June my best friend Carrie took me to a Yankee game for my birthday, (obviously she knows me pretty well) which we of course won, and we celebrated my friend Michelle’s bridal shower and bachelorette weekend. I can’t wait for her wedding in Colorado in September!

Decked out in our Yankee gear.. duhh!
We got to see Andy Pettitte pitch! Mom was way jealous 

Carrie and me in our fancy hats at Michelle's Shower
Girls at the shower!
The Bride Michelle, Carrie and I at dinner
Group shot at one of the bars!
Followed by a little bit of dancing!
 July started off with a bang watching the NYC fireworks over the Hudson from the rooftop of a friend’s apartment. Haha get it… bang…no, not funny?




Next one of my bff’s from Virginia, Kendayl, came to visit with two of the girls I used to babysit for. Kendayl nannies for them in the summer so she took them on a “field trip” to the Big Apple. It was so much fun seeing the city from a kid’s point of view. We decorated our own cupcakes at Carlos Bakery thanks to Carrie, saw the Statue of Liberty, played at many a toy store, ate lots of candy and even jumped around on the famous BIG piano at FAO Schwarz.

Reily, Kendayl and Emily on the Ferry to the Statue of Liberty
Lady Liberty in all her glory

Emily and Reily with the cake they got after Carrie
gave them a tour of  Carlos Bakery in Hoboken
Tattoos at Toys R Us
World Largest Hershey Bar at the Hershey store... don't worry, we didn't buy them!
(we're not crazy!)
The BIG Piano
Posing in front of the bakery!
The rest of July was spent celebrating both of my parent’s birthdays, especially my dad’s BIG 6-0! Somehow, my mom and I managed to throw my dad a surprise party that included tons of family and guests he hadn’t seen in over 10 years! The best part of the surprise was that my brother Zachary flew up from Austin, TX to surprise him as well. Zach and I got to spend lots of time together as he hid out at my apartment for a few days before the party. After all the hard work and planning for the party, it was all worth it when my dad laid his eyes on Zachary and began to cry! At that point, there weren’t many dry eyes in the house! We also got to spend a lot of time with my mom's best friend/man of honor in her wedding Tommy, and his family! We have spent many a summer's with them and it was so much fun to catch up! 

Annual Watson and Buley family picture
Dad's birthday Chelsea themed birthday cake, of course made by Carrie!
Aren't they too cute?

The Watson's with their best friends - Carrie/Sam, Betsy/Tommy, Larry/Mich
Zach/Ryan
Cousin love
Zachary and his pups!

The Watson's, all together!
Before I knew it we were already in August. Now it was time for the long trek up north to Newport, VT (and when I say long, I mean long, it’s about 7 miles from the Canadian Border!) to celebrate my cousin Derek’s wedding. My mom was born in Newport, and since we hadn’t been back up that way for quite a few years, it was really great to get reacquainted with my mom’s old town and to hear all her stories about growing up.  We had such a great weekend with family and did quite a bit of laughing, lots of dancing and tons of catching up. This summer we got lucky and were all able to get together twice, as most came down for my dad’s party as well. I think we’ve learned that after all these years we really DO like each other and hopefully won’t wait so long to see each other next time.

Lake Memphremagog were my mom grew up and where the wedding was
Mom, me and dad at the wedding - we missed you Zachy!
Catherine and Derek exchanging vows
Me and the groom!
Cousins!
Always a daddy's girl
With the newlyweds - such an amazing wedding!
Enjoying the festivities!
August ended celebrating one of my best friend Sally’s Bridal shower. I have been honored to be chosen to stand up next to her as one of her bridesmaids as she marries the man she loves! All the bridesmaids spent the last few months planning for her shower and if I do say so myself, it was quite the success. Sally was showered with TONS of gifts and many well wishes for a happy marriage. Now we have her bachelorette weekend to look forward to in September and then her wedding in October!

Sally and her bridesmaids!
And now we’re at Labor Day. I must say, that my summers have changed quite a bit from spending my days at Shongum Lake on the swim team, or “protecting” the beaches as a lifeguard with all my best friends, but I guess I can’t complain too much. I mean it obviously must have been fun or I would have had much more time to blog!!!! :)

Boo summer's over! :(

No comments:

Post a Comment